Though many people have heard of worker’s compensation insurance, there are many aspects of this security that people do not understand. Lack of knowledge can lead to difficult issues when deciding whether or not to choose this path after work-related damage occurs. Knowing your rights and protections under these laws beforehand is important, and will most likely not come in an honest explanation from your employer. Worker’s compensation insurance was developed to protect both employers and employees from devastating consequences arising from injuries to workers at their place of employment. The laws related to this form of insurance were written to strike a balance between good protection to workers for injuries suffered on the job, and protection to employers from paying crippling settlements to employees as a result of people being hurt due to work related causes. As with any laws, the scope of protection is not perfect, and there are many hidden aspects of the procedure which can cause a great deal of concern and grief in getting through the process. Workers comp lawyer can make sure you are properly represented. The following points will help you to decide what to do when you are injured on the job.
1. Time is critical – When you turn to worker’s compensation for help with an injury, it is vital for you to understand that time is of the essence. You must decide quickly if you want to file a worker’s compensation claim, and you must be very assertive that this is the path you want to take. You should inform your employer immediately that you are hurt, and tell them the circumstances surrounding the incident. You have a limited amount of time to file a worker’s compensation claim by law, so you need to act within the legal timeframe to qualify for the coverage.
2. Worker’s compensation claims are handled by doctors provided by the system, and you will not necessarily have a choice regarding who is in charge of your care, or where you must go to receive your diagnosis and treatment. In some cases, the injured person may feel their worker’s compensation doctor is minimizing care, and understating the extent of personal injury.
3. Your supervisor may not understand the procedures established for filing a worker’s compensation claim. If they advise you to seek care from your regular insurance provider, and you are sure that you want to pursue a worker’s compensation claim, do not seek care outside the system based on your supervisor’s recommendation. Regardless of the circumstances or advice, you must be cared for by a worker’s compensation doctor and facility, if the care is to be covered by this claim.
If everything is not falling into place like it should be, getting a lawyer is another step not mentioned here. If your in California and you need a lawyer, the workers comp san diego area will have experienced lawyers to choose from.
4. Unless you have been through the experience of a worker’s compensation claim, you will not understand how much incorrect advice, misleading direction, and illegal intimidation can be associated with trying to pursue this type of action. You will likely receive misinformation from within the system, and you should be prepared to defend your position.
5. Once the curtain opens on staging a worker’s compensation claim, the focus immediately turns to how much money will wind up being paid on your behalf, and how much of the money that is due to you for your injuries on paper, winds up settling into someone else’s pockets.
6. For some reason, a worker’s compensation claim also carries a stigma with employers that can become immediately apparent to an injured employee. Though few companies will have the courage to admit it, when a person files a worker’s compensation claim, many employers mount a campaign to eliminate that employee from their workforce. Some will use illegal methods, while others cover their tracks with legal but unethical treatment.